The United States Marine Corps (USMC) must account for its personnel, but when disaster strikes, that task becomes difficult or impossible. Seeking a way to ensure timely communication and leverage the strength of mobile devices, the USMC contracted with Engility to design and develop the first Android-based mobile application prototype, mobiSPA, as a part of the Secure Personnel Accountability (SPA) module.
Engility developed a cross-platform mobile appliance to deploy mobiSPA to mobile devices running various operating systems (OS), including Android OS, Apple iOS, Windows Phone, and BlackBerry. Applying Scrum, an agile methodology, Engility developed a tool that provides USMC commands and field users the expanded capability to connect and account for personnel more accurately and quickly.
mobiSPA allows commanders to:
- Transmit critical information to personnel
- Identify personnel in need of assistance
- Track personnel location by ZIP code and military grid reference system (MGRS)
The SPA module and mobiSPA application provide the USMC:
- Timely and Accurate Reporting. mobiSPA accounts for personnel through active and passive status reporting by leveraging the power of mobile devices.
- Troop Welfare and Readiness. mobiSPA uses device global positioning system (GPS) capability to provide rally points with navigational instructions to get personnel to designated locations and the assistance they need.
- Secure Communication. mobiSPA communicates over Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to the SPA module to aggregate reports. Data does not rest on the mobile device to prevent prolonged exposure of data. The application is Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 140 compliant.
Data Plan Conscious. mobiSPA is lightweight to reduce data consumption.