The NACS program supports the NASA Advanced Supercomputing (NAS) Division at Ames Research Center (ARC), the NASA Center for Climate Simulation (NCCS) at Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC), other NASA Centers and Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) as required by the Government. NAS’ mission is "To support NASA’s Mission to advance science, technology, aeronautics, and space exploration through the power of advanced computing and high fidelity modeling and simulation."
In support of this mission, NAS:
- Maintains and operates the NAS facility, including world-class production supercomputing systems, data storage, local and wide area networking, and 24x7 user services;
- Develops and applies advanced computational technologies and services, such as application performance optimization, system and user productivity tools, and data analysis and visualization;
- Serves as the Agency pathfinder by evaluating and implementing advanced computing technologies; and
- Develops mission-driven engineering and scientific models, numerical methods and algorithms, and simulation tools, and applies them in high-fidelity simulations in support of NASA’s mission.
The NCCS’s mission is "To expand scientific and engineering frontiers by providing advanced, usable, agile, and efficient high performance computing services." In support of this mission, the NCCS provides services for the Science Mission Directorate by
- Maintaining and operating the NCCS facility at GSFC, which includes large production supercomputing and cloud services, data storage, local and wide area networking, and user services designed to push the envelope of the state-of-the-art global climate simulations and related applications.
- Developing and applying advanced data services, analytics, and visualization designed for both small and large data from the continuous real time transmission, acquisition, and transformation of satellite data to large-scale observation and model data analysis.
- Exploring and developing advanced information technologies and services, such as emerging computing and data hardware and software, system and user productivity tools.
- Providing a complete set of computing solutions for science that can rapidly respond to changing requirements, as well as changing technology, by providing support services from low-level system administration to high-level application support for the NASA scientific community.